Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Christmas Sparkle Vase

I saw there adorable Christmas Vases on Debbie Doo's blog. I thought it would be perfect!
I plan to make one for myself, one my my mother, and one for my mother-in-law. We will give them to my mom/mother-in-law when we celebrate Christmas together. I plan to put some red carnations in them. I think they will make the perfect holiday decoration!

Here are the supplies I needed to create this adorable vase!
 Sparkle Mod Podge (it's a pink bottle) $6.99 at Hobby Lobby, but I used a 40% coupon, so it was $4.19
Vase - purchased at the Dollar Tree for $1
Foam brush -left over from wedding DIY projects (you can purchase them at any craft store)
Kelly Green Rit Dye (not pictured) - purchased at Meijer for $3.27
Red Acrylic Paint - left over from other projects, available at most craft stores
Round Sponge brushes - also left over from other projects. I know they were purchased at Hobby Lobby
I covered the vase with the Sparkle Mod Podge using the foam brush. I went over it several times to make sure that it was all covered with sparkles. 


Its hard to tell when the Mod Podge is wet that the sparkles are in there. But trust me, they are in there!

Allow the vase to dry. After an hour and a half the majority of it was dry. But I allowed them to continue to dry. I didn't want to rush and do it too early. Patience is a virtue!

After three and a half hours, the Mod Podge appeared to be dry, and I could see the sparkles on the vase.. But I still waited a little while longer to move onto the next step!
The vase will now have a texture. This gives the Rit dye something to attach to. 


 The vases are completely dry and I am ready to paint on the Rit dye.

I chose to use the Kelly Green color dye. The tutorial suggested using Apple Green, but I wasn't a huge fan of that color. 

I began painting the Rit dye onto the vase lightly. 

It started to look like it was dark, but I kept on painting. 


I hadn't completed the top of the vase because I was holding it from the inside. Later after that part had dried, I went back and painted the top of the vase. 
After I let the vases dry, I came back and was very sad :( there were lines all over from where the dye had run. So I thought I would take a damp wash cloth and gently rub the vase with room temperature water. 

It worked! It gave a much lighter (yet still green tint) to the vases. If you are happy with how dark yours turns out, then keep it!

I used some Crafter's Acrylic Gloss in Christmas Red that I had left over from some other projects. I would highly recommend using an acrylic paint, this type of paint covers so wonderfully. Next comes the red polka dots! 


Polka dotting away!

I just went around and polka dotted randomly, just enough to give it some cute sass. 

 After I had polka dotted all three vases. 



I am going to embellish these vases with some cute green and red chevron ribbon that I got from Hobby Lobby for $2.99, but I bought it when Christmas stuff was half-off. So it was only $1.49. And I am going to tie the Cinnamon Stick into the ribbon to give the vase a little spice! 

Ta-da!!




No comments:

Post a Comment